Wednesday, August 19, 2009

No more C-PAP...for now

Today brought more wonderful news. When Pam went in to see Riley at lunch today, she was surprised to find out Riley had been off the C-PAP since 9am and was doing really well. She opted not to hold her, as Riley was sleeping really well and she didn't want to disturb her. She's breathing very fast and heavy, since she's doing it all on her own now, and it uses a lot of energy - so she needs all the rest she can get. Still on oxygen through cannulas in her nose, but its not providing any pressure. They attempted to go ahead and drop her feedings down to the 30 minutes, but after a few bad de-sats they decided to move it back to 2 hours. Probably too much too fast, so we'll take it one step at a time. She needs to calm her breathing down a bit before we try that again. If she continues to have to breathe that hard, there's a good chance she'll get too tired from it and need to go back on the C-PAP. So for now, we'll just keep hoping she sleeps well, stores some energy, and grows just enough to move on. Once they can get those feedings moved down, then she should be ready to move upstairs to the Special Care Nursery. Can't wait!
Her weight was up to 6lb 13oz last night. She has been gaining lots over the past week, and really getting chubbier by the day. Combined with her red hair, she's getting cuter every time we see her.

My math was wrong the other day, and it turns out today is actually day 100 of Wesley. Riley is 78 days old! I've said it before...but can't believe how fast time flies!

Our daycare search was somewhat futile, but did yield some positive results. We were able to find one place that we really like (New Song), and a few that we didn't (Princeton, The Castle). However, none of them can take her while she is on oxygen and/or the apnea monitor. Unfortunately, thanks to Rainbows United's bankruptcy, they no longer have infant daycare, and have also eliminated all non-special needs toddler daycare. Hopefully she won't be on the oxygen when she comes home, or at least no longer than a few weeks. Not sure how long she would be on the apnea monitor, but again we are hoping it won't be long. Luckily, Pam's work is flexible with her schedule and our plan is for her to be off 6 weeks after Riley comes home, and then probably go back a few days a week. My mom has offered to help watch Riley if we can't send her to the day care at that point.

Here's a good pic of Riley with Mommy from Monday:

And a close-up of Riley, you can see so much more of her face now!


  1. Can't wait to kiss those chubby little cheeks! Without that CPAP, you can see how really cute she is! It was great to see her and have her 'smile' at me tonight - no, Joey, it wasn't gas - ha!
    Grandma Ginni

  2. omigosh! she is filled-out... look at those chubby cheeks!! so cute!! :)
    I can't wait to come home and see her in a few weeks.
    aunt jill

  3. So now we are getting closer to the big day when she gets to come home. . . and I was hoping to organize a meals-on-wheels program for Joey and Pam for the first few weeks they are home. I know when I had my 2nd kid and my bible study group brought meals over how wonderful it was!!! So I will plan to bring over some food the first week they are home.
    If you would like to pitch in and take fresh ready to eat meals over, or a frozen dish to just throw in the oven or microwave, send me an email and I will start to organize a meal calendar for them.


  4. So cute! We can't wait for her to come home and then we will come for a visit! Hope it is soon! Love, the Brantners!